Nabil Fekir claims Liverpool “needed an excuse” not to sign him last summer

Nabil Fekir has shed light on his failed £53m move to Anfield, claiming Liverpool backed out of the deal for reasons he is still unaware of.

The French midfielder was on the verge of making the switch to Liverpool from Lyon in the summer of 2018, with the club going as far as interviewing him in front of LFC TV cameras.

Whilst supporters patiently waited for the formality of a confirmation from the club, a delay followed, with local club journalists then citing Fekir’s knee as a reason why the deal had fallen through.

The 26-year-old, who made a £22m move to Real Betis this summer, has questioned Liverpool’s true motives as he claims his knee is “perfectly fine.”

“Lots of lies were told and they affected me,” he said.

“Especially those told about my family. It hurt them and me. Especially when you know that what’s being told is false.

“What was said is not the truth. My knee is good – I had a quick medical check at Clairefontaine (France’s national training base) – my knee wasn’t even mentioned.

“If my knee had been in such a bad state, would Aulas (Lyon chairman Jean-Michel) have made [a huge offer to keep me]?

Nabil Fekir
Image: Getty Images

“But the worst thing is the idea that people could suggest that it’s because of my family that the transfer didn’t happen. It’s a lie. But you have to live with it.

“You want the truth? Even I don’t know – I promise you!

“I did my medical and then [Liverpool] decided not to sign me. At some point they wanted to have me believe it was because of my knee – but an excuse needed to be found.

“The medical tests that I did at Clairefontaine were very clear – my knee is perfectly fine and I feel fine. There are no issues at all with my knee.”

More LFC News

Liverpool FC News

Jurgen Klopp insists Liverpool are “not yet champions” as focus remains on strong finish

Jurgen Klopp says he is excited for the Premier League's return on 17 June but insists Liverpool must work hard if they are to...

Liverpool FC to return to group training this week following unanimous Premier League vote

Liverpool will be allowed to resume full training this week after all 20 clubs voted unanimously to take the next step towards Premier League...

Watch: Fantastic throwback to Istanbul victory celebrations in the streets of Liverpool

Liverpool mounted an incredible comeback in Istanbul 15 years ago. Relive some of the best moments of the following 24 hours as Reds supporters...

Journalist confirms club interested in Liverpool outcast with initial talks already held

German football journalist Marc Behrenbeck has confirmed recent reports about Loris Karius' future, with Hertha Berlin interested in the Reds goalkeeper.Karius is in search...

Liverpool target Timo Werner notches hat-trick with Reds transfer looking inevitable

Liverpool target Timo Werner took his tally to 30 goals for the season after notching a hat-trick against Mainz.The Reds have been linked with...

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner hopeful Reds can celebrate Premier League trophy

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner admits he is looking forward to the Reds’ inevitable Premier League title celebrations, albeit admitting recent events have put football...

Jordan Henderson insists Liverpool will ‘pick up where they left off’ when Premier League returns

insists there will be no complacency amongst the Liverpool ranks as they look to complete the job when the Premier League resumes.Jurgen...

Premier League matches could be broadcast free-to-air for first time since 1992

A selection of Premier League matches could be broadcast free-to-air for supporters once the league resumes, according to a UK government minister.The government...

Watch: Liverpool players return to training in first step towards Premier League resumption

The Reds returned to Melwood on Wednesday for the first day of group training since mid-March with the Premier League set to commence next...